MODIFYING EXPECTATIONS


This blog was due in the 7th week of the outreachy internship period but due to prior engagement, its coming in this late. Like they say, better late than never :). During the Outreachy application phase, I came up with a timeline to guide me during the Outreachy internship period.

It is but normal that things don't always go as we plan them. Most times we could be lagging behind due to one or more bugs which we didn't foresee when drafting the timeline or better still we could be way ahead of the timeline because we allocated more time to some things we thought would be time consuming. In this light its time for me to review and modify my timeline.

As regards to my timeline, I am supposed to be carrying out migration of users from the mailing list to the discourse forum now. As at now I haven't still been given a deployment environment. While I am still waiting for the community guys in charge of creating me a space on their instance, I have been working on my free tier space. So right now I am still designing the UI. I am in the process of implementing badges for gamification purpose. I spent so much time creating my own instance on the  aws free tier account since I was new to cloud computing. And this wasn't part of my timeline, as such, slowed down my progress.  As regards modifying this timeline, I decided to complete the work on the free tier instance, create a backup and then upload it to the Mifos instance when it will be given to me.

In the second phase of the internship, I will need to put in extra time to meetup with my work load. I will have to finish working on the discourse UI and move straight into migrating the data and users from the mailing list and Mifos Connect, into the platform. And lastly conclude with the documentation of the user manual. 

Having changes in your expectations is a normal phenomenon. You just have to be flexible enough to be able to modify these expectations and move forward to completion of tasks and projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY JOURNEY TOWARDS GETTING SELECTED

EVERYBODY STRUGGLES